The first time I heard about dry brushing, I was at my girl Arta’s house. Arta is the kind of girl that just oozes effortless hot girl vibes. She is super into health and wellness and I knew if she was saying dry brushing is where it’s at, I should probably listen. I’m glad I did. Not only does it invigorate and exfoliate your skin, dry brushing also comes with some pretty cool health benefits like increasing your bodies production of collagen and helps give your lymphatic system a boost in helping your body eliminate toxins. Curious about how to dive into this amazing self care ritual?! Check out these tips to get you started including my favorite dry brush and aftercare products.
What Is Dry Brushing?
Garshana (aka dry brushing) is an amazing self care ritual that dates back over 5,000 years and originated in India as part of the ancient medical practice, ayurveda. It involves using a coarse bristled brush to remove dead skin cells, boosts circulation, supports natural detoxification, and even kickstarts collagen production.
Dry Brushing 101: A Step By Step Guide
- Dry brushing is a really great ritual to do in the morning before you shower. I like to do my Garshana massage on Sunday mornings because that is when I treat my self to an at-home spa day so it fits perfectly with the whole vibe. I put on my favorite sound bowls playlist on Spotify, enjoy some yummy spa water with ice cold filtered water, cucumber and mint from my garden and enjoy a relaxing morning to myself.
- Start your massage at the base of your body from the ankles and on completely dry skin.
- Use circular strokes on the stomach and joints such as shoulders, elbows, knees, wrists, hips, and ankles and long sweeping strokes on the arms and legs.
- Use a firm pressure but be careful not to brush over any cuts or scrapes, all in all the process should take roughly 5 minutes. I personally love the brush from Osea because it is plant based and has the perfect little strap to help you get a solid grip so you can apply the perfect amount of pressure.
- After I complete the dry brushing process I hop in my shower and use the Osea Salt of the Earth Body Scrub to gently brush away any remaining roughness. You guys, the scent of the Osea line is next level amazing. The scrub is cruelty free, clean and made of minerals, shea butter and gigartina seaweed.
- After my shower I like to towel off and apply the Osea Undaria Algae Oil (hot tip – this oil is also amazing for pregnant mamas). The oil is not sticky or greasy, and it literally takes 6 months to make, it is truly an experience in a league all of its own which is probably why it has over 975 glowing 5 star reviews.
Right now Osea has the perfect Total Body Glow Trio bundle including the dry brush, scrub and oil for only $90 and you can get an additional discount using the code ECOBABES at checkout!
In case you are a visual learner like me you can watch this awesome tutorial with the plant based Osea dry brush!
On the days I am not dry brushing my all time favorite Osea product and the OG that started my obsession is the Anti-Aging Body Balm. I literally swear by it use it daily and always pack it in my bag for photoshoots because it gives your skin the most amazing glow!
Get ready for the ultimate glow up!